Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Things I Hate

Monday, the president of my alma mater issued a statement in response to Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act. President Heckler encourages cooperation and love. "We must find a way to live and work alongside one another in community. We must love one another." He adds that Valpo "will continue to welcome people of all faiths, cultures, and walks of life" in the community. With this development, a plethora of my Facebook friends shared the statement or news stories about it. Unfortunately, within moments each post seemed to have earned at least one negative comment. Hence my topic for today. 

Hate: to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest.


things i hate
5. Disease
4. Natural Disasters
3. Poverty
2. Hunger
1. Hate

That's right, the thing I hate most is hate.  

Why is hate the thing I hate most? 
Hate hurts. 
Hate harms. 
Hate ruins. 
Hate separates. 

Hate seems to be the heart of each newscast...
Stories about disagreements between groups turning to violence. 
Comments that put down a group with different beliefs or lifestyle. 
Stories of harm or mistreatment of others.

Hate causes violence and brokenness. 
Hate destroys relationships. 
Hate breaks my heart. 
I hate hate. 

Why do people hate? Love (or at least tolerance) is so much easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!