Thursday, February 12, 2015

Blood

30 Before 30 Update 

Celebratory snacks after my 1 gallon donation!

Last month I finally reached my 30 before 30 goal of donating a gallon of blood! I've earned a prestigious and coveted car window cling! (I've now edited that goal to give 2 gallons before I turn 30) I started giving in high school, but was not a very diligent donor so it took me a ridiculous amount of time to reach that one gallon goal.

I got to celebrate this accomplishment with a tour of the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center (Well, I deemed it a celebration. It was really an event with my church 20's/30's group. Our gatherings are focused on service, study, or social so this week was all about service!) We got to follow a drop of blood through the whole donation process. The tour started with the donor area (in which I was very familiar) and then went to the labs where the blood is processed and tested and then finally to the area where the blood is package and sent to hospitals. It was so interesting to see all of the happenings between me donating and my blood actually reaching a donor! 


Why I Give

The post-donation snack is a huge perk, but I give because it feels good to help others. Donating blood takes less than an hour and each donation helps up to 3 people! I've had various family members who've received blood donations that have helped them in a time of need so I love being able to do that for others. 

Anyway, that's one thing off my 30 Before 30 list! I wonder what I will conquer next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!