Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Turkey Meatloaf Burger

Original Pin:


(Disclaimer: I saw this in Rachael Ray's Look and Cook before I saw it on Pinterest)

Ingredients:

· 4 tablespoons butter
· 1 small mcintosh apple (I didn't see any mcintosh at my grocery store so I bought a lady allice instead), peeled and finely chopped
· 1 small onion (I prefer red so that is what I used), finely chopped
· 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
· Salt and pepper
· 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
· 1 pound ground dark-meat turkey
· 1 large egg
· 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
· 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
· 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (about 2/3 palmful)
· Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
· Sliced sharp white cheddar, for topping
· 1/3 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
· 3 tablespoons sour cream
· 2 tablespoons chopped chives
· 4 large sandwich-size sourdough English muffins, split and toasted
· 4 thin slices red onion (I forgot this…)
· 4 leaves red-leaf or red romaine lettuce (I forgot this, but it would be delicious)

Directions:
(from Rachael Ray's Website)




1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the apple, onion and celery; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. 

2. Stir in the breadcrumbs, then transfer to a bowl to cool; reserve the skillet. 
3. Mix in the turkey, egg, parsley, mustard and poultry seasoning; season with salt and pepper. 
4. Form into four (I made 6 smaller (but still good sized) patties instead, well I had seven but one fell apart) 4-inch patties.

5. Wipe out the reserved skillet and add a liberal drizzle of EVOO. Warm over medium-high heat, add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Top with the cheddar during the last minute.

6. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the cranberry sauce, sour cream and chives.

7. Serve the patties on the English muffins with the onion, lettuce and cranberry-sour cream sauce.


Rachel Approved?: YES! This was probably the most delicious burger I've ever eaten. It combines my two favorite foods: Burgers and Thanksgiving. (Yes, "Thanksgiving" is a food). 
I definitely overuse phrases like "the best day ever", but I think cooking this was "the proudest I've felt after cooking something ever."
















You don't even notice the missing lettuce and red onion slice

Anything that could make it better?: Having my sweet potato fries done cooking at the same time as my burger...
Check out that ranch and BBQ sauce mixture!
But seriously, I should have used a little less apple - I had a little trouble keeping my burgers together. 

What is the best burger you've ever made? Was the recipe from Pinterest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!